If not for an unlikely hero, a gas leak could have killed Jake and Mary Pruett, of Bridgeton, N.J., this past Saturday night. Dogs and cats are sometimes known for saving their families, but this time the champion was a pet bunny.
At approximately 2:30 a.m. on Saturday night, Pruett stated that her pet rabbit Blazer woke her up, by “walking on my face and making noises like a horn was stuck in her nose.” Once awake Pruett stated that she immediately smelled the leak and roused her husband. They exited the house with Blazer.
Pruett explained that Blazer has a litter box so she is allowed to roam the house like a dog or cat, and that there are pet steps next to the couple’s bed that let Blazer come up and down. Pruett said that it is unusual for the rabbit to visit the bed during the night, and that Blazer mostly comes up during the daytime when the couple is awake.
After evacuating their home on Saturday night, the Pruetts called the Bridgeton City fire department. According to fireman Steve Chambers, “it is lucky that they got out alive. Leaks like this are often fatal either due to death from toxicity of the gas or an explosion.”
Because carbon monoxide causes unconsciousness, victims who are already asleep often die without waking up. According to the Center for Disease Control, there are as many as 500 deaths a year due to gas leaks.
The leak was due to a faulty stove installation. Firemen were able to stop the gas on Saturday night and the couple was able to return home on Sunday after the fumes had vented..